Wednesday, February 18, 2009

sweet pea

as I mentioned in my personal blog, these are the baby shower invitations I made for my sister-in-law's baby shower. this first picture makes it seem like there aren't that many, but they seemed to keep coming while we were finishing them. if you decide to make this card, let me know and I will help walk you through it if you need help. it's a very intense card, and I ended up recruiting my mom and brother to help me because it was so much work. thanks again!
final card size is 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 in.
to make the outside/envelope - cut a 8 1/2 x 11 in. piece of brown bazzil cardstock in half, so that the halves are 4 1/4 x 11 in. then fold each piece in half, so that there are 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 in. sections. note - the bazzil (textured) side goes on the outside of the card. cut from the top of the folded line to the bottom corner of one of the halves on each piece (do this so that the sides form a mirror image). place the two uncut sides on top of each other and glue together. next cut out two triangles out of to different pink patterned paper that will be glued to the top of each of the triangle sections - each pink triangle will have the dimensions of 4 x 5 1/4 in sides, and a 6 1/2 in. hypotenuse. again, the triangles should be mirror images of each other. I was able to find a double sided patterned paper that I just cut a 4 x 5 in square and then cut that into two triangles. glue pink triangles to the brown triangles, making sure they are flush on the bottom outside corners. then fold the two sides together and glue together, making a pocket.
next, cut out a 1 x 5 1/2 in rectangle. sew two parallel lines along the outside edges. glue to the front of the envelope.
for the last section of the envelope, cut out three circles, a 2 1/2 in. cream cardstock, a 2 in pink bazzil , and a 1 1/2 in brown bazzil. make scallops around the cream cardstock, and punch small holes at each scallop. glue all three circles together. next, cut out a pea pod shape out of green paper using a cricut or die cut. use three green brads to make peas. glue the pea pod to the circles, and the circles to the envelope.
to make the inside/card - cut out a 4 1/8 x 5 3/8 in. square of pink bazzil. print the invitation on cream cardstock so that the final size measures 3 3/4 x 5 in. round the edges of both pieces of paper, then glue together. sew the papers together, using a straight stitch. cut out a 2 in. circle of pink bazzil and a 1 1/2 in. circle of cream cardstock. cut scallops around the pink circle. glue a green button to the middle of the cream circle, and sew on. write "sweet pea" along the outside of the button on the cream circle. glue the two circles together and then glue to the card.
and finally, place the card inside the envelope and take a nap - you deserve it!
note - if you don't have a way to scallop the edges of the two circles, get in contact with me. there is a way to make scallops with a paper edger, and I am more than willing to help explain how.

3 comments:

April said...

Hi, I got one of your cards as well, SO CUTE!!! Since I am NOT a card maker, I would love to know how to make scallops. I was trying to find a scalloped circle at the store but coldn't find one. Maybe they are made by stampin' up?

katielyn said...

That is so cute! I'm going to be "lifting" that idea for sure.

Jaclyn said...

Laska, these are adorable! It's been a while since I have perused your card site, but it makes me so inspired...don't know that I'll do anything about that soon...you know what I'm talking about...but still inspiration is flowing forth. :)